Living up to its title a bit, You Wouldn’t Understand presents a story that leaves you wanting to rewatch for you swear you might have missed something.
|Screenplay By||Trish Harnetiaux|
Jacob A. Ware
|Date Released (Sundance Film Festival)||1/28/2021|
|Genre(s)||Comedy, Crime, Sci-Fi|
|Man In Sweater||Anthony Arkin|
|The Strange Man||Jacob A. Ware|
This content contains pertinent spoilers. Also, images and text may contain affiliate links, which, if a purchase is made, we’ll earn money or products from the company.
A man is having some fruit, eating outside on a lovely day, and then this strange man approaches him. Said man is in all white, is rather suspicious, with an unnerving smile. But is he dangerous or just weird?
Things To Note | Question(s) Left Unanswered
- Reason(s) for Film Rating: Outside of smoking, there is nothing that could make this beyond PG, if that.
Cast & Characters
Please Note: This is not an exhaustive list of every cast member.
Man In Sweater
The man in a sweater was just someone reading his book, who finds himself watching something peculiar in the distance and then meeting the man who might be dangerous.
The Strange Man
With a pale pink coat, a smile that seems to be hiding something, and calling horse radish horsey sauce, would you trust anyone like this if they walked upon you?
On The Fence
It’s The Kind Of Film That Leaves You Asking, “Why Did You Do That?”
You Wouldn’t Understand sets up a very weird situation that doesn’t get resolved because it is a short. We have this man who might be a murderer or just misunderstood. There is also the possibility that something is far more awry with this guy whose smile reminds you of a psychopath in American McGee’s Alice. And as one twist after another is revealed, you are never taken to the place of saying, “What the f***.” If only due to the build-up to wondering who the strange man is doesn’t match the pseudo-reveal.
For once that reveal happens, so does your interest begin to drop. Because then a sci-fi element is added, and between the effects and the twists, you’re just left wondering, was it necessary considering how good the foundation laid was?
Rating: Mixed (Divisive)
You Wouldn’t Understand presents a weird sense of humor that gets bogged down once a sci-fi element is introduced towards the end. For what begins as unnerving and creepy, with a comical tinge, devolves into being too much, too soon, and with not enough time to explain things, what made You Wouldn’t Understand interesting gets lost.
[amazon box=”B00CC2U02M, B00A820UH8″]
- Recommended: Some of the best seen movies we have ever watched and mentioned to friends, family, and strangers as films that need to be seen.
- Positive (Worth Seeing): Whether you’ll have to go to the movies, download or stream, movies of this category are worth your time and money with few, if any, qualms from us.
- Mixed (Divisive): Due to this movie having a few quirks, of which may work for some and for others be a problem, we believe your enjoyment of this movie will depend on your taste.
- Negative (Acquired Taste): While one or two elements kept us going until the end, unfortunately, we’re of the opinion this film never reached the potential it was marketed to have.
- Netflix Original Movies: Films that, primarily, are Netflix originals, or were found on Netflix and should still be on the platform.
- Amazon Prime – Movies: Films only available with an Amazon Prime subscription.
Special Categories/ Tags
- Indie: By our definition, independent films are films you have to seek to find due to limited availability or lack of a marketing push.
- Film Festival: Featured in this tag are films and shorts which were discovered thanks to various film festivals, so some of the productions may not have wide availability but still may deserve to be on your watch.
- Shorts: Be it ten or fifteen minutes, or a half-hour, these quick teases or films get right to the point, often show the potential of filmmakers and the actors who have joined them in their journey.