In “Shaka Inkosi Yamakhosi” you’re given an overview of who the great Shaka Zulu was.
|Screenplay By||Pacina Pictures, Avad Media|
|Date Released (Netflix)||8/3/2022|
|Genre(s)||Action, Adventure, Drama, Young Adult, Animation, Biopic, Non-English (Zulu), Historical, War|
|Young Shaka||Kabeki Mfeka|
|King Shaka||Mondli Makhoba|
This content contains pertinent spoilers.
After getting bullied by three boys, a young man finds himself saved by his grandmother, who speaks of their lineage, which goes back to the great Shaka Zulu. She uses this story to inspire her grandson and get him to stand up to his bullies.
Things To Note
- Reason(s) for Film Rating: Cursing (Nope), Violence (Whippings, murder, blood, torturing a child), Sexual Content (None), Miscellaneous (None)
Please Note: This character guide is not an exhaustive list of every cast member, and character descriptions may contain what can be considered spoilers.
What is presented in “Shaka Inkosi Yamakhosi” is a young boy, son of a mistress and an illegitimate heir to his father’s throne, whose family was chased out of the village. But, thanks to the mentorship of a nearby nation’s king, and Shaka being allowed to alter military tactics, he rose in the ranks, took back his throne, and became the king we all know.
Our Rating: Positive (Worth Seeing)
A Simple Tale That Quickly Covers A Complex History
“Shaka Inkosi Yamakhosi” is purely about getting you interested in Shaka Zulu on a basic level. It doesn’t go deep into him being a military tactician, his work as a diplomat, or some of the controversial ways he would handle disciplining his soldiers. However, as a learning tool to pique the interest of those who may not be strongly familiar with Shaka, this is a decent starting place. Certainly not the best, but considering the rare depiction of historical African figures, especially in animation? You have to appreciate what was done here.
On The Radar
- Recommended: Some of the best-seen movies we have ever watched and mentioned to friends, family, and strangers as films that need to be seen.
- Positive (Worth Seeing): Whether you’ll have to go to the movies, download, or stream, movies of this category are worth your time and money with few, if any, qualms from us.
- Mixed (Divisive): Due to this movie having a few quirks, of which may work for some and for others be a problem, we believe your enjoyment of this movie will depend on your taste.
- Negative (Acquired Taste): While one or two elements kept us going until the end, unfortunately, we’re of the opinion this film never reached the potential it was marketed to have.
Special Categories/ Tags
- Indie: By our definition, independent films are films you have to seek to find due to limited availability or lack of a marketing push.
- Film Festival: Featured in this tag are films and shorts which were discovered thanks to various film festivals, so some of the productions may not have wide availability but still may deserve to be on your watch.
- Shorts: Be it ten or fifteen minutes, or a half-hour, these quick teases or films get right to the point, often show the potential of filmmakers and the actors who have joined them in their journey.
- Ending Spoilers: Trying to remember how a film ended, or want a different take on the ending, then check out the "ending spoilers" category.
Affiliate Link(s) Links contain affiliate links which, If you make a purchase, we’ll earn a commission from the company. New Movie Releases - Amazon