Prayers For The Stolen presents the fears involved when a lurking presence can, at any moment, rob you of your autonomy and joy.
|Screenplay By||Jennifer Clement, Tatiana Huezo|
|Where Can You Watch?||Film Festival (Montclair Film Festival)|
|Genre(s)||Drama, Romance, Young Adult|
|Duration||1 Hour, 50 Minutes|
|Ana (Child)||Ana Cristina Ordóñez González|
|Ana (Young Adult)||Marya Membreño|
|Paula (Child)||Camila Gaal|
|Paula (Young Adult)||Alejandra Camacho|
|Maria (Child)||Blanca Itzel Pérez|
|Maria (Young Adult)||Giselle Barrera Sánchez|
This content contains pertinent spoilers. Also, images and text may contain affiliate links, which, if a purchase is made, we’ll earn money or products from the company.
Ana, Paula, and Maria are three kids growing up in a rural town where they can’t get a stable education and are under constant threat of being kidnapped by a local cartel. But, despite the danger of either being taken from their homes, r*ped, or killed, they try to live out their youth to the fullest.
Things To Note | Question(s) Left Unanswered
- Reason(s) for Film Rating: Smoking, drinking, and vomiting
On The Fence
The Boogeyman Without A Name
Prayers For The Stolen taps into Huezo’s documentary filmmaking background as you watch scenic shots of nature wavering in the wind, animals going about their day, and even as you watch Ana, Paula, and Maria go about their lives. Because of this, everything feels very slice of life, and while you know the cartel is around, and they loom over the Mexican village the movie takes place, they are largely absent.
Because of this, there is often a lull when it comes to the film, which can make the duration of the film bit tiresome. For as attached as you will get to the girls, even Ana’s mom Luz, after a certain point, you want something noteworthy to happen. And, because of the way Prayers For The Stolen is done, while there are moments when you think, “THIS IS IT!” they aren’t spaced in such a way to re-engage you. More so, they act as reminders that no one truly controls their life.
Rating: Mixed (Divisive)
Prayers For The Stolen helps you understand what it is like to live somewhere when you know you have to be ready for an imminent threat but don’t know when or where something may happen. So, instead, you minimize risks, get prepared, and try to live your life in some form of normalcy. All the while knowing, when a dog barks or you see vehicles driving through, this could be it, and it is time to initiate fight or flight mode.
But, with that tension being something you rarely feel in the film, maybe even forget about, you don’t get a sense of complacency as much as find your attention drifting away.
On The Radar
- Recommended: Some of the best-seen movies we have ever watched and mentioned to friends, family, and strangers as films that need to be seen.
- Positive (Worth Seeing): Whether you’ll have to go to the movies, download, or stream, movies of this category are worth your time and money with few, if any, qualms from us.
- Mixed (Divisive): Due to this movie having a few quirks, of which may work for some and for others be a problem, we believe your enjoyment of this movie will depend on your taste.
- Negative (Acquired Taste): While one or two elements kept us going until the end, unfortunately, we’re of the opinion this film never reached the potential it was marketed to have.
Special Categories/ Tags
- Indie: By our definition, independent films are films you have to seek to find due to limited availability or lack of a marketing push.
- Film Festival: Featured in this tag are films and shorts which were discovered thanks to various film festivals, so some of the productions may not have wide availability but still may deserve to be on your watch.
- Shorts: Be it ten or fifteen minutes, or a half-hour, these quick teases or films get right to the point, often show the potential of filmmakers and the actors who have joined them in their journey.
- Ending Spoilers: Trying to remember how a film ended, or want a different take on the ending, then check out the "ending spoilers" category.
Affiliate Link(s) Links contain affiliate links which, If you make a purchase, we’ll earn a commission from the company. New Movie Releases - Amazon