Struggling with moving on after the end of a notable relationship, Gabriela works to make ends meet and deal with their ex moving on.
|Screenplay By||April Maxey|
|Date Released (Film Festival – Tribeca Film Festival)||6/8/2022|
|Genre(s)||Drama, Romance, Young Adult, LGBT+|
|Content Rating||Not Rated|
|Gabriela/ Liliana||Marisela Zumbado|
This content contains pertinent spoilers.
With having to move out after her relationship with Ximena ended, Gabriela isn’t in the best place. She can’t focus on work, she has to do a little strip tease at night to make ends meet, but there is a silver lining. A familiar face named Max works at the club Gabriela, as Liliana, goes to so she can make extra cash. Maybe, once Gabriela works Ximena out of her system, Max could be her next love?
Things To Note
- Reason(s) for Film Rating: Cursing (A few curse words, but nothing gratuitous), Sexual Content (No nudity, but suggestive themes)
Question(s) Left Unanswered
- Did Ximena cheat, or was it just a short gap between ending things with Gabriela and her next?
Please Note: This character guide is not an exhaustive list of every cast member, and character descriptions may contain what can be considered spoilers.
An artist still dealing with a recent breakup who, be it for extra money or to pay the rent, goes back to her old job as a sex worker under the name Liliana.
A piano and singing teacher who, at night, works at the same club Gabriela does. However, it seems she only recently got back into the practice.
Gabriela’s spectacled ex who broke her heart and moved on a bit too quickly for Gabriela’s taste.
Our Rating: Positive (Worth Seeing)
Presenting Both A Sense Of Longing And Possibility For Something New
While there is no excuse for Gabriela leaving a voice note for Ximena’s new girl and giving her the business, you can see why. There were so many happy memories involved in their relationship. Which, yes, does leave you to wonder why they broke up, but that’s the issue of young love. You can so easily get wrapped up in experiencing so many firsts and new things with someone that you glaze over the bad parts, where things went wrong, and how it all added up to things ending.
But, it was appreciated that Max came in, and while things could have gotten overtly sexual between the two, it seems Max, if she goes down this road with Gabriela, wants something real. And the hope that gives Gabriela and the audience will make you wish you could see what is coming next.
On The Radar
- Recommended: Some of the best-seen movies we have ever watched and mentioned to friends, family, and strangers as films that need to be seen.
- Positive (Worth Seeing): Whether you’ll have to go to the movies, download, or stream, movies of this category are worth your time and money with few, if any, qualms from us.
- Mixed (Divisive): Due to this movie having a few quirks, of which may work for some and for others be a problem, we believe your enjoyment of this movie will depend on your taste.
- Negative (Acquired Taste): While one or two elements kept us going until the end, unfortunately, we’re of the opinion this film never reached the potential it was marketed to have.
Special Categories/ Tags
- Indie: By our definition, independent films are films you have to seek to find due to limited availability or lack of a marketing push.
- Film Festival: Featured in this tag are films and shorts which were discovered thanks to various film festivals, so some of the productions may not have wide availability but still may deserve to be on your watch.
- Shorts: Be it ten or fifteen minutes, or a half-hour, these quick teases or films get right to the point, often show the potential of filmmakers and the actors who have joined them in their journey.
- Ending Spoilers: Trying to remember how a film ended, or want a different take on the ending, then check out the "ending spoilers" category.