The Map of Tiny Perfect Things is an imperfect romance film, which takes almost an hour to differentiate itself and keep you from growing tired of the film’s loop.
|Screenplay By||Lev Grossman|
|Date Released (Amazon Prime)||2/12/2021|
|Genre(s)||Comedy, Romance, Young Adult|
|Duration||1 Hour 39 Minutes|
This content contains pertinent spoilers. Also, images and text may contain affiliate links, which, if a purchase is made, we’ll earn money or products from the company.
It isn’t clear what triggered it, but Mark ends up in a time loop. One that led to him just observing people, correcting the wrongs he can, and even getting some time with his friend to play games. However, after a certain point, it became monotonous. Which is why when he learned that a girl named Margaret was also in the loop, he was excited and enchanted by her.
However, there is more to this story than Mark meeting a girl and her seeming quirky and a bit hard to understand as we come to learn. Between the two, if they wish for this loop to end or understand why it exists, they’ll have to understand there is more to life than their purview.
Things To Note | Question(s) Left Unanswered
- Reason(s) for Film Rating: There might have been cursing, but it is so minimal you’ll miss it.
- Jump Scares/ Laughs/ Tear-Jerking Moments: N/A
Collected Quote(s) & .Gifs
I don’t want to seize the day. I just don’t want the day to seize me.
When It Flips And Goes From Mark’s Story To Margaret’s
When focusing on Mark, you get that run of the mill, this is all about the guy becoming a better man thanks to his relationship with a woman who may be got some good conversation. However, then about an hour and 16 minutes in, Margaret isn’t the love interest but treated as the lead, and we get to see what goes on in her day. This change saves the movie for no longer does it feel like a run of the mill story with your average Joe in a peculiar circumstance.
With this flip, Newton is allowed to evolve and become more, and while I wouldn’t say she leads the film to become excellent or her performance will get you overtly emotionally invested, at the very least, it’ll keep you from becoming bored.
On The Fence
After A Certain Point, You Get Bored of the Loops
Nothing really exciting happens in the loops, and alongside that, once you know what Margaret or Mark are trying to fix, you lose your interest. For a girl falling into a pool, someone not getting pooped on, none of it is funny, leads to notable moments, none of that.
Heck, even with Mark’s family, who we get to know to a certain degree, getting to see how their lives change when he isn’t so much focused on changing the outside world, but what is going on in his home, it doesn’t better the film. If anything, it almost makes you wish he stuck to making his family happy since it seems he was ignorant about quite a bit.
Mark and Margaret Aren’t Necessarily An Awe-inspiring Couple
Mark and Margaret don’t share cute moments or show the kind of chemistry which makes you want more. They are very much a checklist movie couple who are more so two attractive actors paired together, with a storyline that pushes them together, than two people who seem inevitable for a good reason.
Rating: Mixed (Divisive)
The main issue with The Map of Tiny Perfect Things is that it makes it clear to you, with repeating the title Groundhog Day, what this film isn’t. The Map of Tiny Perfect Things isn’t funny, doesn’t have a cute couple, and so it is something to watch, but not something you should rush to watch.
- Recommended: Some of the best seen movies we have ever watched and mentioned to friends, family, and strangers as films that need to be seen.
- Positive (Worth Seeing): Whether you’ll have to go to the movies, download or stream, movies of this category are worth your time and money with few, if any, qualms from us.
- Mixed (Divisive): Due to this movie having a few quirks, of which may work for some and for others be a problem, we believe your enjoyment of this movie will depend on your taste.
- Negative (Acquired Taste): While one or two elements kept us going until the end, unfortunately, we’re of the opinion this film never reached the potential it was marketed to have.
- Netflix Original Movies: Films that, primarily, are Netflix originals, or were found on Netflix and should still be on the platform.
- Amazon Prime – Movies: Films only available with an Amazon Prime subscription.
Special Categories/ Tags
- Indie: By our definition, independent films are films you have to seek to find due to limited availability or lack of a marketing push.
- Film Festival: Featured in this tag are films and shorts which were discovered thanks to various film festivals, so some of the productions may not have wide availability but still may deserve to be on your watch.
- Shorts: Be it ten or fifteen minutes, or a half-hour, these quick teases or films get right to the point, often show the potential of filmmakers and the actors who have joined them in their journey.