In this unfolding mystery, you may find yourself underestimating what will happen – thus leading to your mouth gaping by the end.
|Screenplay By||Joe Hsieh|
|Where To Watch||Film Festival (Sundance Film Festival)|
|Genre(s)||Crime, Drama, Mystery, Animation, Non-English (Taiwanese and Mandarin Chinese)|
|Content Rating||Not Rated|
|Rich Lady||Shu-Fang Chen|
|Strange Guy||Guo Shang-Sing|
|Coal Miner||Pi-Li Yeh|
It’s the last bus of the night, and it is comprised of the driver, a seemingly wealthy woman, a couple, two coal miners, and a rather strange acting guy. Together they journey to an unknown destination until the wealthy woman believes she is robbed, which becomes the beginning of the end for many.
Cast & Character Guide
Please Note: This is not an exhaustive list of every cast member.
Just a man doing his job, who gets annoyed at the various events which could throw him off schedule
With a claim that something happened to her vehicle, you can tell the rich lady is perturbed to be schlepping it with common folk
Quiet, reserved, but ready for action when called to do so, the husband tries to play a masculine role in his relationship
Demure, pregnant, and holding a secret, watch this one
Strange Acting Guy
From the start, there are red flags about this strange acting guy, and you’ll figure out why by the end
Honestly, they are just two men who do as they are told and are monetarily rewarded for it by the rich lady.
Other Noteworthy Information
- Reason(s) for Film Rating: Cursing, blood, animal cruelty, depiction of abuse, gore
The Shocking Twists And Ending
I’m not going to lie to you, I was judgmental when this started. I saw the animation, which wasn’t the kind I was used to, and so expectations were lowered. In a way, this was a good thing, for as each person’s story unravels and you learn what they are capable of, it allows you to be shocked by what happens.
To get into specifics, from the way the wealthy woman acts and gets everyone to react as she wants to the story of the wife and husband and the background of the strange guy, these people will leave you stunned. Not in some grand, Agatha Christie, big-time mystery way. However, as the violence begins and the reveals, your mouth will be left open, and the only thing which may come out is “Oh s***.”
The Night Bus is the epitome of not judging a production by the visuals. It may not be a style commonly used, but it allows for expression, ultimately does great things for the story, and it is more of an issue you might have than it being an actual negative, in any aspect you can fathom. But, calling ourselves out aside, it has one of the best stories from the animated shorts we’ve seen, and it’s probably one of the only productions, in the entire festival, that left us with our mouth gaping without the reason being race-related.
On The Radar
- Recommended: Some of the best-seen movies we have ever watched and mentioned to friends, family, and strangers as films that need to be seen.
- Positive (Worth Seeing): Whether you’ll have to go to the movies, download, or stream, movies of this category are worth your time and money with few, if any, qualms from us.
- Mixed (Divisive): Due to this movie having a few quirks, of which may work for some and for others be a problem, we believe your enjoyment of this movie will depend on your taste.
- Negative (Acquired Taste): While one or two elements kept us going until the end, unfortunately, we’re of the opinion this film never reached the potential it was marketed to have.
Special Categories/ Tags
- Indie: By our definition, independent films are films you have to seek to find due to limited availability or lack of a marketing push.
- Film Festival: Featured in this tag are films and shorts which were discovered thanks to various film festivals, so some of the productions may not have wide availability but still may deserve to be on your watch.
- Shorts: Be it ten or fifteen minutes, or a half-hour, these quick teases or films get right to the point, often show the potential of filmmakers and the actors who have joined them in their journey.
- Ending Spoilers: Trying to remember how a film ended, or want a different take on the ending, then check out the "ending spoilers" category.