For those who are fans of Ryan Reynolds and Dwayne Johnson’s shtick, Red Notice was made just for you.
|Director(s)||Rawson Marshall Thurber|
|Screenplay By||Rawson Marshall Thurber|
|Where To Watch||In Theaters|
Netflix Original (11/12/2021)
|Genre(s)||Action, Adventure, Comedy, Crime|
|Duration||1 Hour, 58 Minutes|
|Nolan Booth||Ryan Reynolds|
|The Bishop||Gal Gadot|
|Agent John Hartly||Dwayne Johnson|
|Inspector Das||Ritu Arya|
Nolan Booth considers himself the top art thief in the world, but his rival, known as “The Bishop,” thinks otherwise. However, in the process of proving he is the best by getting these three eggs gifted to Cleopatra, Booth plans to solidify his title. The problem is, between Agent John Hartly and Inspector Das, it’s 2 people and INTERPOL facing off against him. However, as The Bishop gets aggressive with getting the eggs, Agent Hartley finds himself temporarily teaming with Booth as The Bishop threatens Agent Hartley’s good name.
Things To Note | Question(s) Left Unanswered
- Reason(s) for Film Rating: Cursing, drinking, gun violence
Ryan Reynolds recently noted he plans to take a break from acting, and alongside spending more time with his family, I think it is also, so people don’t grow tired of his shtick too. For that usual sarcastic character that has made him an A-lister, not only is he playing that same character, but it seems whatever jokes he passed on were given to Gal Gadot. This allows them both to be funny, but with so many of the jokes, you’ll feel that they were cut from better Ryan Reynolds movies.
Dwayne Johnson Is Dwayne Johnson
The best thing you can say about Johnson is, like anyone who plays the straight man to Reynolds, he does what is needed. While Reynolds is in a lot of films that have action, his comfort zone is the comedy section and he relies on the other person to have the cool shootouts or fight scenes. Johnson is chosen this time and compensates well for Reynolds.
As for his character outside of Reynolds? Like everyone in the movie, it is good enough. I can guarantee you won’t say, “Oh, Dwayne Johnson is really pushing himself with this movie!” but you’ll definitely say he brought what you expected and left you happy.
Our Rating: Positive (Worth Seeing)
Red Notice seems like one of those movies which will pop on Netflix for a week when it comes out November 12th and then fizzle out. Why? Well, it isn’t bad, but it isn’t great either. It’s just a fun way to spend Friday night if you have nothing better to do and don’t feel like going out. And with Dwayne Johnson delivering what is expected, Ryan Reynolds doing the same, and Gal Gadot, it makes for a nice, simple action movie that doesn’t try to do anything but be entertaining.
- Recommended: Some of the best-seen movies we have ever watched and mentioned to friends, family, and strangers as films that need to be seen.
- Positive (Worth Seeing): Whether you’ll have to go to the movies, download, or stream, movies of this category are worth your time and money with few, if any, qualms from us.
- Mixed (Divisive): Due to this movie having a few quirks, of which may work for some and for others be a problem, we believe your enjoyment of this movie will depend on your taste.
- Negative (Acquired Taste): While one or two elements kept us going until the end, unfortunately, we’re of the opinion this film never reached the potential it was marketed to have.
Special Categories/ Tags
- Indie: By our definition, independent films are films you have to seek to find due to limited availability or lack of a marketing push.
- Film Festival: Featured in this tag are films and shorts which were discovered thanks to various film festivals, so some of the productions may not have wide availability but still may deserve to be on your watch.
- Shorts: Be it ten or fifteen minutes, or a half-hour, these quick teases or films get right to the point, often show the potential of filmmakers and the actors who have joined them in their journey.