In Lolo, you’ll feel like you are watching the childhood years of a group of friends before the time jumps to them as adults.
|Director(s)||Leandro Goddinho, Paulo Menezes|
|Screenplay By||Leandro Goddinho, Paulo Menezes|
|Date Released (Digital)||1/22/2021|
|Genre(s)||Comedy, Romance, LGBT|
|Max||Valentin Von Schonburg|
|Elena||Rhea C Tober|
This content contains pertinent spoilers. Also, images and text may contain affiliate links, which, if a purchase is made, we’ll earn money or products from the company.
Lolo is currently struggling with what to do about his boyfriend, Max, refusing to go public with him. So he seeks the advice of his best friends Elena and Toby to figure out what to do since, despite being 11, he has already planned out the name of his and Max’s kids.
Things To Note | Question(s) Left Unanswered
- Reason(s) for Film Rating: Technically, the whole The Male Gaze compilation is R, but this doesn’t have anything terrible besides more cursing than some might be comfortable hearing from children.
- Jump Scares/ Laughs/ Tear-Jerking Moments: Toby is really flamboyant and might produce some laughs.
Cast & Characters
11-year-old Lolo knows he is gay, wants to experience love, and not just hold hands when no one is around, but when people can see as well.
A young jock, Max sees himself as heteroflexible and Lolo as gay, which complicates their relationship.
Lolo and Toby’s best friend, who loves them both, even like-likes Lolo.
Fabulous with a capital F, Toby is considered a 9 on the gay scale, per Elena, and embraces it like a body embraces the ground when you do a dip.
The Comradery Between The Three Leads
As noted in our It’s A Sin review, finding your people as early as you can, is more imperative than finding the right school, career, you name it. For it is your friends, your community, that helps you get through heartbreak – or avoiding things like bad haircuts. They also help you feel normal in a world where, everyone else, they’re actually the weird ones.
This is why we appreciate Toby for always sticking up for Lolo, for while he is single and definitely ahead of his time, he loves Lolo enough to be happy for him. Then with Elena, who isn’t sure what she is, you have to appreciate her support as well. Even if it might be partly tied to a crush on Lolo.
Feeling Bad For Lolo
With all that said, I felt bad for Lolo being rejected by Max. Yet, I must admit, it makes me wonder, in the future, will we see shows like this? If shows like Andi Mack can exist on Disney with children born out of wedlock, gay kids, mental illness, and more, what’s so bad about a gay kid just wanting PDA and struggling to find it? Must stories like this be locked into shorts and films and not be explored on television?
On The Fence
Toby Might Seem A Bit Much
Let’s be frank for a moment, the kids and their acting are a little rough, but Toby may feel a bit much. Granted, you and I both know adults like Toby. It’s just, unless you know a tween who knows who they are and fully embraces it, Toby may seem a little over the top or simply camp.
Rating: Positive (Worth Seeing)
Lolo really pushes you to wonder when may we see dramas focused on LGBT+ kids without jumping to their adult years? Because, as we see and learn about more and more kids coming out, where are their shows? Especially ones focused on the younger years, and not the later years when sex and drugs become strongly associated with being queer?
With pushing that thought, that is why Lolo, a part of The Male Gaze: Hide and Seek, is being rated worth seeing.
- Recommended: Some of the best seen movies we have ever watched and mentioned to friends, family, and strangers as films that need to be seen.
- Positive (Worth Seeing): Whether you’ll have to go to the movies, download or stream, movies of this category are worth your time and money with few, if any, qualms from us.
- Mixed (Divisive): Due to this movie having a few quirks, of which may work for some and for others be a problem, we believe your enjoyment of this movie will depend on your taste.
- Negative (Acquired Taste): While one or two elements kept us going until the end, unfortunately, we’re of the opinion this film never reached the potential it was marketed to have.
- Netflix Original Movies: Films that, primarily, are Netflix originals, or were found on Netflix and should still be on the platform.
- Amazon Prime – Movies: Films only available with an Amazon Prime subscription.
Special Categories/ Tags
- Indie: By our definition, independent films are films you have to seek to find due to limited availability or lack of a marketing push.
- Film Festival: Featured in this tag are films and shorts which were discovered thanks to various film festivals, so some of the productions may not have wide availability but still may deserve to be on your watch.
- Shorts: Be it ten or fifteen minutes, or a half-hour, these quick teases or films get right to the point, often show the potential of filmmakers and the actors who have joined them in their journey.