In this pop epic, don’t expect much in the way of acting – it’s all about the visuals and music.
|Genre(s)||Crime, Drama, Fantasy, Young Adult, Musical|
|The Witch||Sasha Lane|
After the king’s death, the queen is liberated from his tyranny, and with her freedom, she becomes uninhibited to the point of displeasing the royal court. Luckily, magic casters within the kingdom make an effort to assist the queen, but how much they can prolong the inevitable is hard to say.
Things To Note | Question(s) Left Unanswered
- Reason(s) for Film Rating: Cursing, nudity (Breasts, bare behinds, pubic hair)
Visually It Is Interesting
If you look at If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power as an album video, similar to what Beyoncé has done with her last few albums, you can appreciate the overall story. Particularly, the visuals that may not present something that leaves you awe-struck, but for those who may not be huge fans of Halsey’s music – at least beyond the singles – the costume design, makeup, and supernatural moments, alongside what you can derive from the story, the combination will carry you to the end.
On The Fence
If You Aren’t A General Fan Of Halsey’s Music, This Is Not For You
While I love “I Am Not A Woman, I’m A God” and probably play it multiple times a day, I won’t say any of the other music I could really get into. Now, of course, music taste is subjective, but the problem with not getting into the music is that it can ruin the experience of watching the film. However, I would say that some of the songs’ vibe and lyrics don’t always feel like they match what is going on the screen.
In fact, there are times when I was wondering which came first: The music or the movie’s concept? Because it sometimes feels like Halsey had an album to promote, as well as a movie concept, and she just killed two birds with one stone, even though they didn’t mesh as well as they should
Our Rating: Mixed (Divisive)
I wouldn’t say If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power does the job of showing Halsey as a top-tier writer, in terms of films, a good actress, or really highlights the music well. If anything, this feels like a vanity project that I’m sure Halsey’s full-time fans will love, but for us per-diem folk? While the strange happenings of the world Halsey built are interesting at times, you could surely find something better to spend an hour with.
Check out our forums to talk about the latest releases and movie news.
- Recommended: Some of the best-seen movies we have ever watched and mentioned to friends, family, and strangers as films that need to be seen.
- Positive (Worth Seeing): Whether you’ll have to go to the movies, download, or stream, movies of this category are worth your time and money with few, if any, qualms from us.
- Mixed (Divisive): Due to this movie having a few quirks, of which may work for some and for others be a problem, we believe your enjoyment of this movie will depend on your taste.
- Negative (Acquired Taste): While one or two elements kept us going until the end, unfortunately, we’re of the opinion this film never reached the potential it was marketed to have.
Special Categories/ Tags
- Indie: By our definition, independent films are films you have to seek to find due to limited availability or lack of a marketing push.
- Film Festival: Featured in this tag are films and shorts which were discovered thanks to various film festivals, so some of the productions may not have wide availability but still may deserve to be on your watch.
- Shorts: Be it ten or fifteen minutes, or a half-hour, these quick teases or films get right to the point, often show the potential of filmmakers and the actors who have joined them in their journey.