A summary of how The Outfit (2022) ended and whether a prequel or sequel is possible.
|Screenplay By||Johnathan McClain, Graham Moore|
|Roy Boyle||Simon Russell Beale|
|Richie Boyle||Dylan O’Brien|
|Violet Fontaine||Nikki Amuka-Bird|
How Did It End?
It begins with us learning that, as teased, Leonard is the rat. Behind a radiator, he planted a tape recorder so all the conversations Mr. Boyle’s gang had in the shop could be recorded. Following that, he led Mr. Boyle’s crew to think “The Outfit” had a legitimate interest in them when really they have no idea who they are. Now, how did Leonard find out about “The Outfit?” That isn’t gone into. All that we know is he set Boyle’s people to go to war with Violet Fontaine’s people.
Which again leads to the question of why? Well, one can only assume it was to set up Mable to get a chance to see the world. For with Leonard’s wife and daughter dying because of his past actions, perhaps helping Mable get away from the chaos of Chicago was supposed to be his repentance? But let it be known, Mable, too, was setting things up so she could get out. She was working with an FBI agent, which her boyfriend Richie, Mr. Boyle’s son, didn’t know about.
But in the end, neither Leonard nor Mable have anyone of the Boyle family or the Fontaine’s to worry about. Mr. Boyle is sent into an ambush, leading to Violet Fontaine murdering him. Then, after Violet gives a suitcase full of money to Mable and Leonard, Leonard produces a cassette of her murder confession that Mable can give to her FBI friend.
Now, the only thing that complicated this whole thing was Francis, Mr. Boyle’s up-and-coming soldier, not dying when Leonard screwed him over, and Violet’s men shot him. But, with Leonard tapping into his days of being a hardened killer and showing he isn’t some feeble Englishman, he finishes Francis. From there, Leonard sets his place on fire to destroy the evidence of Francis’ killing, Richie’s, who died after Francis shot him, and any trace of Leonard or Mable being at the crime scene.
Is There Sequel/ Prequel Potential?
The way Leonard makes it seem, though he wants to live the rest of his life in peace and quiet, trouble follows him. So a sequel could be possible, especially since we’re made to believe “The Outfit” could be a real thing, a post-Al Capone network of mob organizations across the United States. But a prequel could be possible as well, showing Leonard, called English throughout the film, using those shears of his in the most violent ways, and us getting to meet his daughter Lily and wife Azira.
On The Radar
- Recommended: Some of the best-seen movies we have ever watched and mentioned to friends, family, and strangers as films that need to be seen.
- Positive (Worth Seeing): Whether you’ll have to go to the movies, download, or stream, movies of this category are worth your time and money with few, if any, qualms from us.
- Mixed (Divisive): Due to this movie having a few quirks, of which may work for some and for others be a problem, we believe your enjoyment of this movie will depend on your taste.
- Negative (Acquired Taste): While one or two elements kept us going until the end, unfortunately, we’re of the opinion this film never reached the potential it was marketed to have.
Special Categories/ Tags
- Indie: By our definition, independent films are films you have to seek to find due to limited availability or lack of a marketing push.
- Film Festival: Featured in this tag are films and shorts which were discovered thanks to various film festivals, so some of the productions may not have wide availability but still may deserve to be on your watch.
- Shorts: Be it ten or fifteen minutes, or a half-hour, these quick teases or films get right to the point, often show the potential of filmmakers and the actors who have joined them in their journey.
- Ending Spoilers: Trying to remember how a film ended, or want a different take on the ending, then check out the "ending spoilers" category.